Saturday, November 1, 2014

Halloween Treats

Earlier this month, I stumbled across a Halloween cookbook display at the library, and it got me thinking that I ought to do something festive.  I picked up the book Ghoulish Goodies, by Sharon Bowers; the cover is interesting enough to draw people in, but I knew the best cupcake baker in town would be attending the same party as me, and I didn't want to try to compete with her (good thing, too - her cookie monster cupcakes would've been hard to beat), so I decided to go with something a little different.

Witches' Knuckles recipe

These aren't like the witches' fingers cookies that you're used to seeing.  In fact, these aren't cookies at all.  They turn out more like a spicy cheesy-mustard bread dough, with the rosemary and pepperoni on top as garnish.  I found the dough to be sticky, but otherwise very easy to work with, and didn't have any trouble piping it with a ziplock bag as suggested.  Mine came out bigger than expected - they do rise quite a bit while cooking - so I'm more inclined to call them ogres' toes than witches' knuckles. 


I made a double batch, which was a good call - the picture above is about 1/2 of a batch's worth, and is all that was left after the party.  As the recipe says, though, they do reheat really well in the oven, and remain soft and chewy on the inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment