Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thing #4 - Subscribe to RSS

This was really quite easy for me.  In some ways, I've had access to RSS for quite a while, regardless of whether I used it or not.  Since I generally use Firefox, it automatically updates its RSS feed list under its "Bookmarks" tab constantly with news headlines from around the world.  For my own part, I've had several blogs bookmarked for a while, but never bothered to set up an RSS feed (even though, with a Google account, I've always had access to Google Reader!).  So, now, I consolidated everything, putting my bookmarked blogs into my Google Reader account, instead.

There didn't seem to be any very good way to link my Google Reader account up to my blog account, though.  Maybe I just haven't fiddled with it enough, but for now I settled for adding two of my favorite blogs (Booklicious, a book blog, and Eating in Madison A to Z, a food blog) to their own little compartments in the right-hand column.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying Google Reader, because it can suggest new blogs for me that I may want to subscribe to.  It seems to show some degree of intelligence with it, too - librarian blogs, obviously, came up, but so did Wisconsin, and especially Madison, blogs, even though I didn't have any subscriptions to Madison/Wisconsin blogs, which makes me wonder how it knows where I am... but, since I didn't have to sign up for a new account (using my Google/Gmail account) and since it seems to have some smart suggestions, I think I'll enjoy Google Reader. 

1 comment:

  1. Just saw us in your sidebar - thanks for the kind words! Neat web project, BTW.

    ReplyDelete