Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thing #10 - Del.icio.us

Ok, I have to admit, I totally missed that you can click on each of the 23 things and get a great walkthrough of how to go about exploring that "thing".  That having been said, I think my previous posts really weren't too far off the mark (mostly), but it will be a lot easier to follow a more guided approach to exploring the different topics from now on.  Whew.

About del.icio.us - I actually used it not too long ago for the first time to transfer over all my bookmarks from my old computer to my new one.  I imported them from my browsers to del.icio.us, where they were automatically sorted by the folders I had them in, then booted up del.icio.us on my new computer and imported back the bookmarks that I thought were useful enough for me to have access to immediately.  While I can see how it can be useful to have inter-computer and inter-browser access to all of your bookmarks (often when I go home for vacations, I don't bring my clunky desktop along, and end up forgetting about certain bookmarks I'm supposed to check), at the same time, I'd rather be able to manage my bookmarks in a browser's dropdown menu.  I find it's a lot easier to keep the bulk and useless junk down, a lot faster to access, and I like the layout better.  Del.icio.us can be sorted by tags, but I'm more inclined to spatial than sorted arrangements - put something in its designated place, and it will always be there.  So, I prefer bookmark menus, where you can choose where, exactly, on the list you want a specific thing to be.  That's just personal, though; libraries would do better to keep a del.icio.us account or two, for patrons and staff, so everyone has quick access to the same standard links.  I know College Library, where I'm doing my practicum, has a del.icio.us account for the reference desk, so the many students and librarians that work there can all find the exact same sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment